[Classweb-users] PR3592.D7

Nancy Knapp nknapp at depauw.edu
Tue Apr 26 13:11:24 EDT 2011

The book that I'm cataloging is *After intimacy : the culture of divorce in
the West since 1789*, K. Leydecker and N. White (eds.) which is about how
divorce is treated in American and European literatures.  So, I was trying
to find the call number for the subject "Divorce in literature" and was
directed to the call number *PR3592.D7*.

This takes me to a call number for "English literature--17th and 18th
centuries (1640-1770)--Individual authors--Milton, John--Criticism and
interpretation--Treatment and knowledge of special subjects, A-Z--Divorce".
This is obviously an incorrect call number which should be for general
literature rather than under an individual author.

I found a possible call number under " Literature (General)--Theory.
Philosophy. Esthetics--Relation to and treatment of special elements,
problems, and subjects--Other special--Topics, A-Z".  But there is no number
for "Divorce" so one would need to create a cutter for "Divorce".

What would call number you suggest for "Divorce in literature"?

Thank you for your help with this.

Nancy Knapp
DePauw Asst. Cataloger
Roy O. West Library