[Classweb-users] New version of Classification Web
pwei at loc.gov
Thu Feb 17 08:37:26 EST 2011
The Library of Congress is pleased to announce that a newly enhanced version of Classification Web, which was made available for user testing in 2010, will go into production this weekend and will be available on Sunday February 20, replacing the current version. It includes the following new or enhanced features, as well as numerous other changes and improvements:
* Name authorities are available via browse and search screens that are accessible from the Main Menu screen.
* The correlations feature has been expanded and redesigned. Correlations choices now include the full range of name and subject headings, "name as creator" correlations, and National Library of Medicine classification numbers
* An LCSH browse screen has been added to the main Menu screen.
* Drop-down link menus have replaced the alphabetical links that follow classification captions and search results. The links that appear in these dropdown menus are spelled out in full for ease of use. Link menus are accessed by clicking on a small rectangular icon that appears at the end of each line. Classification browse displays are now cleaner and easier to read, uncluttered by links.
* All search screens have been simplified and standardized.
* Help screens have been completely redesigned and rewritten, and now include information on previously undocumented features, such as phrase searching and the use of other Boolean operators in searches.
We welcome feedback from users about their experiences using this new version. Please address comments or suggestions to Patricia Hayward, Cataloging Distribution Service (phay at loc.gov<mailto:phay at loc.gov>).
More information about the Classweb-users